ENABLING THE MIDDLE
Nourishing the grassroots
ENABLING THE MIDDLE FOR ENTERPRISE AGILE TRANSFORMATION
PM Power has extensive experience working with customers on their Agile Transformation Journey and our Enterprise Agile Transformation Manifesto is the distilled wisdom from our experiences in working with our customers on this journey.
One of the critical pieces that we often see missed out in these Enterprise Agile Transformation initiatives is the significant role that Middle Managers (such as Chapter Leads / Delivery Managers / Engineering Managers) play in the process.
Normally, we notice that this segment of the organization has least clarity on their role in Agile Transformation as well as in the new operating model. There is minimal organizational intervention in terms of training/coaching at this level.
However, this Middle Management layer is very critical in:
- Translating Strategy to Execution as they are the bridge between the executive leadership team and the delivery teams
- Building & sustaining the right Culture & Mindset as people belong/report to them
- Balancing delivering value today and developing competency for tomorrow
- Integrating end-to-end processes and teams to build systemic capabilities
- Developing Technology Roadmaps & Architecture runways
Our offering eTM+ addresses these challenges through systematic Training, Coaching & Consulting approaches based on the specific organizational contexts.
Role of Middle Managers with respect to Enterprise Agile Transformation
|Agile Transformation value||Role of Middle managers in the transformation process|
|Focus on Customer Outcomes||
· Building the product and domain competency in teams and improving their ability to execute with focus on customer outcomes
· Prioritization of value and product roadmapping
· Aligning product / technology architecture to support business and customer outcomes
· Support effective implementation of Agile roles
· Facilitate self-organization and cross-functional collaboration within and across product teams
· Demonstrating the role of leadership in Agile
· Leadership development to ensure “Being Agile” versus “Doing Agile”
· Removing impediments to the flow of continuous business value
· Technology / business planning for execution
· Balancing short-term goals versus long-term goals
|Experimentation and Learning||
· Building diversity / risk taking ability in teams
· Influencing technology investments
· Facilitating systemic improvements
· Support building a learning organization
|Lean Thinking||· Facilitating a lean mindset / culture of innovation in teams|
ASK A Question
You are an agile coach working with a group of middle managers as part of an enterprise transformation effort. There are coaches at senior leadership level up in the hierarchy and lower in the scrum team level. Middle managers are going about the transformation effort...
I have been working with leaders in the last few years as an agile coach. When I say ‘leaders’, these are people in middle management roles in large corporates. Intent of this blog is to share some of the lessons I learnt in the process. In the agile world, it is...
All clues are given as rebuses. To solve each clue look at the rebus corresponding to the clue. The answer indicated by the rebus is the solution to the clue. Note that all solutions are words related to Agile. Happy Rebusing and Crosswording! (Note that Rebuses...
PM Power Consulting
PM Power Consulting helps organizations achieve agility in design and delivery of software and services.
PM Power Consulting Pvt. Ltd.
354/3, I Cross, I Block, Jayanagar
PIN Code: 560 011
Phone: +91 80 2657 5292