ENABLING THE MIDDLE
Nourishing the grassroots
ENABLING THE MIDDLE FOR ENTERPRISE AGILE TRANSFORMATION
PM Power has extensive experience working with customers on their Agile Transformation Journey and our Enterprise Agile Transformation Manifesto is the distilled wisdom from our experiences in working with our customers on this journey.
One of the critical pieces that we often see missed out in these Enterprise Agile Transformation initiatives is the significant role that Middle Managers (such as Chapter Leads / Delivery Managers / Engineering Managers) play in the process.
Normally, we notice that this segment of the organization has least clarity on their role in Agile Transformation as well as in the new operating model. There is minimal organizational intervention in terms of training/coaching at this level.
However, this Middle Management layer is very critical in:
- Translating Strategy to Execution as they are the bridge between the executive leadership team and the delivery teams
- Building & sustaining the right Culture & Mindset as people belong/report to them
- Balancing delivering value today and developing competency for tomorrow
- Integrating end-to-end processes and teams to build systemic capabilities
- Developing Technology Roadmaps & Architecture runways
Our offering eTM+ addresses these challenges through systematic Training, Coaching & Consulting approaches based on the specific organizational contexts.
Role of Middle Managers with respect to Enterprise Agile Transformation
|Agile Transformation value||Role of Middle managers in the transformation process|
|Focus on Customer Outcomes||
· Building the product and domain competency in teams and improving their ability to execute with focus on customer outcomes
· Prioritization of value and product roadmapping
· Aligning product / technology architecture to support business and customer outcomes
· Support effective implementation of Agile roles
· Facilitate self-organization and cross-functional collaboration within and across product teams
· Demonstrating the role of leadership in Agile
· Leadership development to ensure “Being Agile” versus “Doing Agile”
· Removing impediments to the flow of continuous business value
· Technology / business planning for execution
· Balancing short-term goals versus long-term goals
|Experimentation and Learning||
· Building diversity / risk taking ability in teams
· Influencing technology investments
· Facilitating systemic improvements
· Support building a learning organization
|Lean Thinking||· Facilitating a lean mindset / culture of innovation in teams|
ASK A Question
One of the most significant issues that I have faced in Agile coaching engagements has been with respect to making and fulfilling commitments. Estimates provide the basis / input for making commitments. If you have poor estimates, your problem in meeting commitments...
As a coach, I often reflect on how the approaches and the practices have evolved from the traditional to the Agile. I can recollect many instances and moments, when we did things differently, improvised a bit, in the traditional world. These were steps, tips, tricks...
We have been discussing factors that are critical to success in delivery. In my first blog in this series, “Project without a Deadline does not complete”; we looked at the importance of starting a project with a deadline in mind. The second blog, “Making Deadlines...
PM Power Consulting
PM Power Consulting helps organizations achieve agility in design and delivery of software and services.
PM Power Consulting Pvt. Ltd.
354/3, I Cross, I Block, Jayanagar
PIN Code: 560 011
Phone: +91 80 2657 5292